Wednesday 16 May 2007

City musings

Ae'gura is quiet these days. I see plenty of new faces though. I recognise the expressions easily - wide eyed with wonderment, constantly glancing everywhere trying to take it all in. I look at them and feel quite glad that they have this wonderful oppertunity to do so, this second chance to explore one of history's greatest legacies. I keep thinking how very easily it could not have turned out this way.

No sign of Echo. I haven't seen her for about a week now. I hope she's holding up ok. I'm confident that she seems more at ease with what she is seeing, but Kenji and I are no closer to ascertaining how she can do so. Our original speculations still stand, and I am reluctant to consider any real alternative - I refuse to believe she is insane, or merely hallucinating. I have not yet shared our theories with her, for danger of unduly alarming her. The best I can hope to do is remain in contact and observe any possible developments which could shed light on her 'condition'.

Re-reading the last sentence, it sounds so cold and clinical. Truth be told, the things she has told me have had quite a lasting impression. It's certainly made me look at the City in a different light. Bought home the full scale of the disaster which befell it...

Need to discover the secret held in the Museum Ages. I know how, the markings in Payifren and the map is all I need. It's simply a matter of catching the right time in the Desert pod and working backwards and forwards for the others respectivly. I suppose I could simply ask someone for a timetable and save myself the bother, but where's the satisfaction in that? If this is one of the elements in some grand scheme of some as of yet unknown person or persons, then it exists for a reason, and to reach the destination without taking the journey would clearly go against the reason for its existance - whatever that may be.

I think I'll make camp in Payifren tonight and wait. It'll give me the oppertunity to catch up on some faculty business.

No comments: